I need a description of all the characters in "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare
1 Answer | Add Yours
This is a play about two enemy households, the Capulets and the Montagues. Because not every character is a direct relative of one house or the other, it always helps me to see a list of which characters "side with" which houses.
- Juliet: a young, inexperienced, and mostly innocentent daughter who falls in love with Romeo with a kiss.
- Lord and Lady Capulet: Juliet's parents who do not know their daughter very well.
- Nurse: Juliet's caregiver and confidant; also, comic-relief in this tragedy.
- Tybalt: Juliet's cousin; hot-headed and an excellent swordsman.
- Paris: the young man to whom Juliet is promised in marriage.
- Sampson and Gregory: servants
- Romeo: the young, emotional, and somewhat irrational son who falls in love with Juliet immediately after getting over another girl.
- Lord and Lady Montague: Romeo's parents who do not know their son very well.
- Benvolio: Romeo's best friend; level-headed and very loyal.
- Mercutio: another of Romeo's friends; humorous and flamboyant (a show-off).
- Friar Laurence: a religious man who is a confidant and counselor to Romeo; he marries the two kids in the hopes that the union will bring peace between the families.
- Abram and Balthasar: servants
- Prince Escalus: the prince of Verona who also acts as law enforcement
- Chorus: scene setters (used in most of Shakespeare's plays)
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes