1 Answer | Add Yours
Transition metals are sometimes called transition elements and by IUPAC definition, they are atoms with an incomplete d sub-shell orbitals or produce a cation with an incomplete d sub-shell.
Their general properties are as follows:
- Low ionization energies --> can for ions easily
- Positive oxidation states --> cations
- Very hard --> because of their metallic property
- High melting points --> a metallic property
- High boiling points
- High electrical conductivity --> electrons can freely travel from one atom to the other atom.
- Malleable --> can be flatten into sheets
We’ve answered 396,981 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question