Compare Protestantism with Catholicism showing five characteristics that set them apart from each other.
3 Answers | Add Yours
- Catholicism is a much more hierarchical religion than most Protestant sects are. Catholics owe allegiance to the Pope, no Protestants do.
- Catholics believe that the Host at Communion becomes the literal body and blood of Jesus Christ, Protestants do not -- the believe it is symbolic.
- Catholics revere the Virgin Mary much more than Protestants do.
- Catholics pray to saints to help them (the saints are supposed to ask God to help the people). Protestants do not.
- Catholics typically have statuary in their churches and have crucifixes (with Jesus on the cross), Protestants have no statues and crosses only (no Jesus).
There are many differences between between Protestants and Catholics. Here are a few more:
- Catholics look to scripture and tradition for authority while Protestants look to scripture only.
- As far as free will goes, Catholics believe people are free to both good and evil while Protestants believe that people are free to do only evil.
- Catholics pray to Saints while Protestants do not.
- Purgatory exists in Catholicism while Protestants deny it.
- Catholics receive salvation through baptism but may be lost through sin. It can regained again through penance. Protestants believe that salvation is the result of divine grace and unworthy of merit.
Here are several more:
- The Catholic Confraternity Bible contains 13 more books than the Protestant King James version.
- The Ten Commandments are listed differently. (The commandments on coveting are worded differently).
- In Catholicism, sins are categorized as venal and mortal. Mortal sins, if not confessed and forgiven, will take a soul to hell. People can confess sins in the confessional with a priest.
- In Catholicism, one can attain grace from performing good works and from receiving the sacraments.
- Divorced people are not allowed to remarry in the Catholic Church.
- The Catholic Church is morally opposed to contraception.
- The acceptance of the theory of evolution is prevalent with Catholics while many Protestants do not accept it.
- Catholics believe in purgatory.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes