4 Answers | Add Yours
HOPE THIS ANSWER HELPS !!! :)
- Shakespeare's pastoral comedy, As You Like It, has the characters of Jacques and Touchstone as mirror images of one another.
- They both play the role of the fool like big-time jokers, though play a significant role in putting forth philosophical and realistic comments.
- They both receive sufficient attention for their witty remarks and pronouncements, yet they represent different aspects of the same character.
- Both are jesters yet the make serious comments.
- The basic contrast is that Jaques is the court jester of Duke Senior who is an essential part of his "banished-life". On the other hand, Touchstone is the fool of Duke Fredrick, yet he is a good foil for Rosalind, who can use himto practice her verbal skills and sharpen her wit.
- He serves in the play as a good dose of self-deprecating wisdom, without too much arrogance. Touchstone is most notable for his incredible ability with words; he loves to twist any argument and nitpick over any little thing. So Touchstone provides a few good laughs.In contrast to Touchstone, Jacques is funny inadvertently. He is so caught up in his own problems which, ironically, makes him a comic character.
- Jacques's character is given to melancholy though Touchstone is all humorous.
they bothvery similar in one sense that both of them are melancholic who finds everything sad even in the happiness.....
they both were unhappy in the forest of arden
and touchstone had social mannerism and jaques had not
We’ve answered 288,337 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question