Classify the following statements as consistent or inconsistent with modern-day atomic theory.
1. Atoms are the basic building blocks for all kinds of matter.
2. Different types of atoms exist.
3. Atoms change identity during chemical change processes.
4. Only whole atoms can participate in chemical reactions.
5. All atoms of a given type are identical.
1 Answer | Add Yours
The modern day atomic theory refers to the quantum model of atom.
1. Atoms are the basic building blocks for all kinds of matter. TRUE
By definition the atom is the smallest part of the matter that can not be divided by chemical processes or by ordinary physics processes. However, today we know that subatomic particles do exist but to obtain these particles we need very high energies.
2. Different types of atoms exist. TRUE
The type of atoms identifies the different chemical elements existent in nature. They are arranged in a periodic system in the order of increasing their positive nuclear charge.
3. Atoms change identity during chemical change processes. FALSE
As defined above atoms can not be divided by chemical processes. Therefore they can not be transformed into another type of atoms and because of this they do not change identity.
4. Only whole atoms can participate in chemical reactions. FALSE
Chemical reaction can take place also between ions of atoms when atoms forms ionic compounds.
5. All atoms of a given type are identical. TRUE
All atoms of a certain chemical element (the same given type) have the same number of electrons, protons and neutrons, thus they are identical.
We’ve answered 395,765 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question