In "Catcher in the Rye", what did Holden think of the Radio City show, and why did he call Carl Luce?
25. What did Holden think of the show at Radio City? 30. Why did Holden call Carl Luce even though he did not like him too much? 29. What did Holden and Luce discuss? 34. Why did Holden go home so early (before Wednesday)? 36. What was Phoebe's reaction when she first saw Holden?
40. What was her reaction when she found out he had been expelled?
I have really hard time with these questions please help me to get the answers - if you know the answer just write for me and if it is possible write the page number too!
2 Answers | Add Yours
Holden says that going to the show at Radio City "was probably the worst thing I could've done...don't see it if you don't want to puke all over yourself" (Ch.18, paragraphs 3-5). The only thing he likes about the show is "the guy that plays the kettle drums in the orchestra". Holden calls Luce because he can't reach Jane, and he doesn't have the phone number of anyone else whom he thinks "might want to have dinner...and...a slightly intellectual conversation" (Ch.18, paragraph 2).
Holden asks Luce about his sex life, as well as other inane questions. Luce doesn't really want to talk, and ends up recommending that Holden see a psychoanalyst (Ch.19, paragraph 5 to end). Holden goes home before Wednesday because he is lonesome, drunk, and depressed, and, as he sits freezing on a park bench, he begins to wonder "how old Phoebe would feel if I got pneumonia and died...I figured I'd better sneak home and see her in case I died and all" (Ch.20, last 3 paragraphs).
Phoebe is delighted to see Holden; she cries, "'Holden!'...(and) she put her arms around my neck and all" (Ch.21, middle). She gets very angry when she finds out he has been expelled. She yells, "'You did get kicked out! You did'...then she hit me on the leg with her fist...she smacked me again with her fist" (Ch.21, 6 and 7 paragraphs from the end).
30. yes they meet i think in a bar
29.holden asks him about his sex life
34. he wanted to tell phoebe he got is running away
36. she was happy and exicted
40. she knew he got kicked even though he tried to hide it she kept telling him daddys going to kill you and she was sort of disappointed.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes