1 Answer | Add Yours
The Congress is given many powers by the Constitution. The Framers of the Constitution meant for Congress to be the most powerful branch of government. For this reason, they gave it many powers which are outlined in Article I of the document. For example, Congress has the power to:
- Impose taxes on the people and to collect those taxes.
- Regulate commerce between the states and with foreign countries.
- Set up and regulate a national currency.
- Borrow money.
- Declare war.
- Establish a system of patents.
- Establish a postal service.
- Create and support an army and a navy.
These are a few of the many powers given to Congress by the Constitution.
We’ve answered 315,927 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question