Better Students Ask More Questions.
Briefly explain what happens in chapter 8 of "The Hound of the Baskervilles".
2 Answers | add yours
In Ch.6 Sir Henry Baskerville, Dr. Mortimer and Dr.Watson leave for Baskerville Hall in Devonshire. Holmes who has come to see them off at the station instructs Dr. Watson to closely observe all the people in the neighbourhood and their activities and report to him regularly through letters while he continues to stay in London.
Ch.8 "First Report of Dr. Watson," is a detailed description of all the important people in and around Baskerville Hall and their activities written in the form of a letter dated October 13th by Dr. Watson to Sherlock Holmes who is in London.
He begins the letter in a chatty tone complaining about the deolateness of the moor in Devonshire and then conveys him the following important information:
1. It is a fortnight since a convict has escaped from Princetown and he may or may not be hiding somewhere on the moor.
2. Sir Henry Baskerville is attracted to Stapleton's sister which is objected to by her brother.
3. Stapleton shows them the place "where the legend of the wicked Hugo is supposed to have had its origin."
4. Dr. Mortimer takes them to Yew Valley so that they could visualise for themselves how Sir Charles met his tragic end.
5. There is a description of Mr.Frankland of Lafter Hall, an eccentric person who wastes all his fortune on needlesss litigation.
6. A description of Mr. and Mrs. Barrymore. Barrymore is seen walking around mysteriously with a candle at 2 A.M.
Posted by lit24 on December 12, 2008 at 10:47 PM (Answer #1)
I want to take summarize of chapter 8 of The Hound of Baskervilles
Posted by umangmoma on April 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM (Answer #2)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.