1 Answer | Add Yours
The Boxers were Chinese nationalists opposed to foreign influence in China and angered by the past and ongoing humiliations against China by foreign forces. The purpose of the Boxer rebellion was to expel all foreigners from China and eliminate their spheres of influence. They failed on all fronts with disastrous consequences which included but were not limited to:
- Occupation of the capital by foreign forces.
- The levying of a huge war indemnity.
- Destruction and desecration of cultural artifacts.
- It led to the weakening and eventual collapse of the ruling dynasty.
- It helped precipitate the eventual conflict between Japan and Russia.
We’ve answered 327,850 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question