Better Students Ask More Questions.
How do you compare and contrast a bird from a reptile?no
5 Answers | add yours
- Both are vertebrates.
- Both breathe through lungs
- In general both are oviparous, that is their young ones hatch out of eggs laid by them. However some reptiles are viviparous, that is they directly give birth to young ones.
- Birds are the only animals that have feathers and wings. But this does not mean that all birds can fly., Or that birds are the only animals that can fly.
- Reptiles have a dry scaly skin in contrast to birds that have feather covered skins. Most of the reptiles shed their skin several times a year.
- Birds are warm blooded animals, while reptiles are cold blooded animals.
- All birds have two hind legs. They also have fore limbs in the form of their wings. The number of limbs or legs in reptiles is variable. Most of the reptiles have four legs, while other may have no legs at all..
- Birds do not have any teeth. Instead they have a hard beak or bill. In contrast reptiles have teeth.
- Birds live only on land, although some birds are able to swim in water. Some reptiles live on land while others live in water. Some reptiles live on land as well as water.
- both are vertebrates having dosel notochord ,breath through lungs,lay eggs(oviparus), and birds have some alike features of reptiles.
- Birds can fly,live on the trees,forelimbs are modified into wings,have feathers on their body,their are warm blooded animals,have four chambered heart and hollow bones(which help to fly).
- Reptiles have scales on their body,sharp teeth,three chambered heart,their are cold blooded aqnimals,they have long tail than the birds,they have normal bones.
Given below are main similarities and differences between birds and reptiles.
Posted by krishna-agrawala on October 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM (Answer #1)
Elementary School Teacher
First of all find out all the traits/characteristics of each animal. Then group them in a Venn Diagram. (Two circles overlapping with a section in the middle which will show how they are similar.) The sections that do not overlap will show how they are different. Then you will be able to make a comparison statement/paragraph about hwothey are similar and different.
Posted by stahlerf55 on October 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM (Answer #3)
Elementary School Teacher
Did you look at the websites I listed one of them actually compared the two with the infromation given.
Posted by stahlerf55 on October 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM (Answer #4)
Valedictorian, Dean's List
the contrasting features of the bird and reptile are
the difference between birds and reptiles are
Posted by alphadav on October 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM (Answer #5)
These are the most notable and common differences/ similarities in traits.
no sweat glands, amniotic eggs, and one occipital condyle
-Gizzard and crop
-beak, no teeth
-eyeball is fixed in socket
-reduced number of digits, backward hallux
-lungs have air sacs
-4 chambered heart
-complete double circulation of blood
-lungs have subchambers called flaveoli
-3 chambered heart
-incomplete double circulation
-sinus venosus absent or reduced
Posted by ab1543 on October 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM (Answer #6)
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.