Better Students Ask More Questions.
What are 4 main events that happen in Black Beauty?
1 Answer | add yours
Anna Sewell's classic, Black Beauty, is a novel that advocates for the humane treatment of animals, especially the horse. Therefore, the main events of Beauty's life center upon his fortunes and mistortunes that point to the cruel acts of humans. Here are five examples from which you can choose:
1. After Beauty is grown and trained, lives an idyllic lif. He proves his mettle one night during a storm when he refuses to cross a bridge. John the handler discovers that the bridge is broken in the middle and they would have been gravely injured had Beauty not sensed danger.
2. John Manley, the coachman at Birtwick rides Beauty to fetch the doctor for Mrs. Gordon, but when he returns, hot from the franctic ride, he is nearly killed after Joe Green lets him drink cold water.
3. Beauty is sold to Earls Hall Park. The stablehand, Reuben Smith gets drunk and takes Beauty on a dangerous ride. Beauty loses a shoe and damages his foot; under the pain, the horse falls with great force. When Beauty heals his knees are blemished, so he is sold to a master of a livery stable.
4. After suffering under the reins of drivers who know little, Beauty is finally purchased by the kind London cab driver, Jerry Barker for whom he works for four years until Jerry's health deteriorates and he can no longer drive. Beauty drives a poor woman and her young son to a hospital one day. Beauty has occasion to see poor Ginger who is made to pull heaviy loads. One day he observes a cart with a dead horse in it that appears to be Ginger.
5. After being sold to a corn dealer and then another cruel owner, Nicholas Skinner; Beauty is so overworked that he is pulled down. A farrier sees that Beauty still has wind, but is too weak to work, so he tells the owner to take Beauty to a horse fair. There a kind farmer named Thoroughgood, and he and his grandson take Beauty home. They restore Beauty's health and sell him to Ellen and Lavinia Blomfield. Joe, who works for them, recognizes Black Beauty and tells the ladies; afterwards, Beauty remains with them and lives happily.
Posted by mwestwood on July 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM (Answer #1)
Related QuestionsSee all »
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.