10. A characteristic that an organism exhibits during its lifetime will only affect the evolution of its species if the characteristic
1. results from isolution of the organism from the rest of the population.
2. is due to a genetic code that is present in the gametes of the organism
3. decreases the number opf genes in the body cells of the organism
4. causes a change in the environment surrounding the organism
1 Answer | Add Yours
The correct response is 2: is due to a genetic code that is present in the gametes of the organism.
What this means is that the mutation that occurred in the organism is able to be passed down to future generations because it has been incorporated in the gametes. During sexual reproduction the gamete from one organism binds to the gamete of another organism during the process of fertilization. In humans, this would be the binding of the sperm from the male to the egg of the female. Any trait that is inherited by the offspring therefore must be part of the gamete as it is the material that the offspring is born form.
We’ve answered 397,013 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question