Explain the factors that might affect an individual's choice of occupation.
1 Answer | Add Yours
There are many factors that could have an impact on a person’s choice of career or occupation. Not all people will give the same weight to each of these factors. Some of the factors include:
- Personal skills. The abilities a person has will often help to determine what job they want because they will naturally want a job in which they can succeed.
- Personal tastes. People will often tend to try to enter occupations that sound interesting to them. A person who does not like children, for example, might not want to try to become a teacher.
- Level of pay. Some people care very much about how much money they can make in a given occupation.
- Level of prestige. Some people want jobs that will make others look up to them and respect them.
- Familial expectations. Some people have parents and other family members who expect them to enter a certain occupation. This can affect their choices.
All of these are factors that could have an impact on a person’s choice of occupation. However, different people will attach different levels of importance to each of these factors.
Join to answer this question
Join a community of thousands of dedicated teachers and students.Join eNotes