Below is a list of current job opportunities at eNotes. The company's office is located in the downtown area of Seattle, Washington.
Teachers and Educators
You can be a live site educator for eNotes and answer student questions, as well as write on subjects such as literature, history, social sciences, science, etc. To apply, simply visit the educator sign-up page.
Editorial, Social Media, and Math Interns
Our office has a seasonal internship program. We hire current students looking for their first taste of working in the e-publishing industry. Applicants must be available to work alongside us in our Capitol Hill location; should be interested in pursuing a career in publishing, education, or some related field; must be able to commit 10-15 hours per week; and finally, should display a strong work ethic and desire to keep learning. We require proficient writing and proofreading skills for editorial and social media candidates; math interns should be majoring in mathematics or a hard science. We're looking for interns who can act as a true "student ambassador" amongst our team of educators!
We offer paid and work-study internships. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
eNotes is actively seeking a SysAdmin/DevOps Engineer with a strong background in deploying and maintaining high availability environments using cloud services such as AWS. You will be responsible for managing the eNotes deployment, including automating and provisioning new services, maintaining existing services, including configuration and performance optimization. You will work closely with the eNotes development team to ensure the eNotes deployment meets the needs of the developers and codebase.
- Experience with AWS, especially EC2 and EBS. You will be responsible for provisioning and maintaining our production AWS deployment.
- In-depth knowledge of Linux system administration, preferably on Debian/Ubuntu Linux.
- Scripting language experience, especially to automate repetitive tasks. Knowledge of languages such as Bash, Python, Ruby, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of MySQL configuration and performance tuning, specifically for databases using the InnoDB storage engine. Required skills include optimizing configuration to maximize performance, deploying MySQL servers in production using replication and/or clustering, query optimization, and capacity planning.
- Apache Web Server configuration and performance tuning.
- Load balancing using tools such as HAProxy.
- Experience with PHP, including package management tools such as PEAR and Composer.
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools such as Chef or Puppet.
- Knowledge of monitoring and logging systems.
- Experience with creating and automating backups, especially backups of production MySQL databases.
- Experience with the Apache Solr search platform.
- Experience with services such as Memcached or Redis.
- Experience with web servers other than Apache, such as nginx.
- Solid knowledge of networking.
eNotes is actively seeking developers with strong experience in LAMP environments. Ideal candidates should have a passion for building an innovative and exciting educational platform for students and teachers around the world. eNotes is one of the most heavily trafficked educational websites in the world, with millions of visits every year.
You will be:
- Deploying content from some of the world's largest education publishers, much of which has never been available online before.
- Working with a small, dedicated team in building innovative software applications to help students and teachers from around the world connect with each other, share ideas, and find information.
We believe smart developers can learn just about anything, but experience with the following is required:
- Object-oriented PHP, including commonly used design patterns. This means you need a thorough understanding of classes and objects, and how to use composition and inheritance to build extensible applications.
- MySQL. You need significant competency with SQL databases. You should be able to construct efficient queries against a MySQL database, understand the principles of relational databases, and understand the importance of normalization.
Previous experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desirable:
- Linux systems administration, especially with Ubuntu, and experience in cloud-based environments.
- Scaleable MySQL environments, using replication and/or clustering.
- Experience with common version control systems such as Subversion, Perforce, or Git.
- Mobile application development, particularly for the iOS platform. This is a big plus and will highlight your candidacy.
Experience with design on mobile platforms is a big plus as well.
Interested individuals should send a brief email along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we are interested, we will contact you to set up a phone interview.
eNotes offers an excellent compensation package, including health/dental insurance, and an incentive stock option plan.
eNotes has been online since 2003, serving millions of students and teachers every year. The company is privately held and has been profitable since its outset. eNotes has its offices in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle.
Quantcast ranks eNotes in the top 500 websites worldwide.