In the following viewpoint David C. MacDonald argues that a single-payer health system, in which universal health care is subsidized by a federal tax, would severely limit an individual’s options regarding care. He contends that patients, not the government, should control where their health care dollars are spent. Returning control to the patient, Mac- Donald maintains, would help keep health care costs down and ensure quality care. MacDonald is a practicing physician and a founder of the American Association of Patients and Providers, a nonprofit membership organization.
(The entire page is 1818 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE