Article abstract: Articulation of a policy of free trade between China and all nations, with respect for China’s territorial integrity.
Summary of Event
John Hay’s Open Door Notes are a milestone in the articulation of United States foreign policy in Asia at the turn of the twentieth century. They were circulated to address specific events; however, their cumulative and long-term implications make them critical to understanding the evolution of the United States as a world power.
By 1890, the U.S. frontier had been declared closed, but...
(The entire page is 1451 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE