1. Chapter 1 is entitled “The One Thing Needful.” What is that one thing?
2. What does Gradgrind want to “plant” and what does he want to “root out” of his pupils?
3. To whom does Gradgrind say “Sissy is not a name…Don’t call yourself Sissy. Call yourself Cecilia.”
4. What gesture does Bitzer make once he finishes his answer?
5. What direct comment does the narrator permit himself about the teacher M’Choakumchild?
6. The “government officer” is compared to what kind of professional athlete?...
(The entire page is 462 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe to the eNotes Teacher's Edition for access to this content as well as all eNotes lesson plans. Plus get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE