Nick is the Commander's chauffeur. He is an attractive young man about the narrator's age. He is not allowed to associate with the handmaid, but they defy the rules and start a physical relationship. On the night after the impregnation ceremony, the narrator goes downstairs to the sitting room of the house because she feels like stealing something. Nick finds her there, and in the silence they kiss and touch each other.
Nick functions as a messenger throughout her series of clandestine meetings with the Commander. When he wears his hat sideways, she knows that she is to go see the...
(The entire page is 187 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE