At a glance:
- Author: Evelyn Waugh
- First Published: 1934
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Social satire
- Setting: England
- Characters: Tony Last, Brenda Last, John, Mrs. Beaver, John Beaver, Jock Grant-Menzies, Dr. Messinger, Todd
- Genres: Long fiction, Satire, Novel
- Subjects: Voyages, Prisoners, Twentieth century, Social issues, Guilt, England or English people, Adultery, Divorce, London, South America or South Americans, Exploration or explorers, Interior design
- Locales: Europe, Brazil, London, England, South America, Amazon, Brazil, United Kingdom
John Beaver lives in London with his mother, an interior decorator. Beaver is a worthless young man, twenty-five years old, who moves in the social circles of his mother’s wealthy customers. He is not well liked, but he is often invited to parties and weekends to fill spaces made vacant at the last moment.
One weekend, Beaver is invited to Hetton Abbey by its young owner, Tony Last. Tony lives in the old Gothic abbey with his wife, Brenda, and his young son, John. It is Tony’s dream that someday he will restore his mansion to its former feudal glory....
(The entire page is 2544 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE