Douglas E. Winter (review date 1997)
SOURCE: Winter, Douglas E. “Those Eldritch Horrors.” Book World 27, no. 43 (26 October 1997): 6.
[In the following review, Winter offers a favorable assessment of Tales of H. P. Lovecraft and The Annotated H. P. Lovecraft.]
Fear lurks in the shadows of American letters, its pleasures plebeian and guilty. The “genre” fiction of horror and the supernatural is Cain to the Abel of literary fiction, maligned and maverick, until time heals its wounds and makes it classic, if not literature....
(The entire page is 1529 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE