Dirk W. Mosig (essay date 1987)
SOURCE: Mosig, Dirk W. “The Four Faces of the Outsider.” In Discovering H. P. Lovecraft, edited by Darrell Schweitzer, pp. 18–41. San Bernardino, CA: The Borgo Press, 1987.
[In the following essay, Mosig investigates the “message” in the story “The Outsider,” based on four methods of interpretation: the autobiographical, the psychological, the metaphysical, and the philosophical.]
H. P. Lovecraft did not write to entertain, nor did he tailor his impressive fiction with the paying market in mind....
(The entire page is 8489 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE