Part I, Chapters 1-4
1. Discuss Gulliver’s progress from chained alien to important ally of the Lilliputians.
2. Define satire and describe how it is used in these chapters, using examples from the text.
3. Discuss the transitions in the tone of these chapters, from travel book to description of an alien society to satire on English politics.
4. Discuss the relationships between Gulliver and the Emperor of Lilliput, Skyresh Bolgolam, and Reldresal.
Part I, Chapters 5-6
1. Discuss the decline of Gulliver’s fortunes in Lilliput in...
(The entire page is 1194 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE