- Jonathan Swift (Censorship (Ready Reference series))
- Jonathan Swift (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Jonathan Swift (Dictionary of World Biography: The 17th and 18th Centuries)
- Jonathan Swift (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Jonathan Swift (Critical Survey of Poetry: British, Irish, & Commonwealth Poets)
At a glance:
- Author: Jonathan Swift
- First Published: 1726
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Satire
- Time of Work: 1699-1713
- Genres: Long fiction, Satire, Adventure, Novel
- Subjects: Values, Traveling or travelers, Voyages, Intellectuals, Folkloric or magical people, Mythical animals, Politics, Prisoners, Escapes, Social issues, Religion, Class consciousness, Human race, Eighteenth century, Islands, Kings, queens, or royalty, Rulers, Fantasy, Corruption, Shipwrecks, Adventure, Government, Horses, Satire, Giants, Royal courts or courtiers
- Locales: Europe, England, Mythical lands, United Kingdom
*Bristol. Port town in southwestern England, where the down-on-his-luck, good-natured Lemuel Gulliver begins his travels. A solid English citizen, Gulliver represents England’s optimistic, rationalistic, and scientific philosophies, which Swift abhorred. A Church of England cleric, Swift maintained that England should look back to the ancient Greeks and Romans and to the Christian Church teachings for guidance and inspiration.
Lilliput (leel-lee-pewt). Island southwest of Sumatra that is the first strange land...
(The entire page is 1362 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
- Can anyone give me some literary criticisms about Gulliver's Travels?
- What kinds of foolish actions does Swift criticize in Gulliver's Travels?
- What social issues in Gulliver's Travels mirror our own?
- How do the last two paragraphs of Voyage IV in Gulliver's Travels affect the way we view Lemuel Gulliver? Do these last...
- In Gulliver's Travels, what is missing in the Houyhnhnms?
Test Your Knowledge