- Robert Greene (Critical Survey of Drama, Second Revised Edition)
- Robert Greene (Critical Survey of Poetry: British, Irish, & Commonwealth Poets)
- Robert Greene (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Robert Greene (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- Greene's Groatsworth of Wit Bought with a Million of Repentance (Cyclopedia of Literary Places)
At a glance:
- Author: Robert Greene
- First Published: 1592
- Type of Work: Short fiction
- Type of Plot: Satire
- Setting: A city resembling London
- Characters: Roberto, Lucanio, Lamilia
- Genres: Nonfiction, Autobiography
- Subjects: England or English people, London, Sixteenth century, Drama or dramatists, Shakespeare, William, or Shakespearean plays, Badgers
- Locales: Europe, London, England, United Kingdom
Gorinius, an old usurer who lives in a city with strong resemblances to London, addresses his sons from his deathbed. He counsels his younger son Lucanio, his heir, to follow his example and “heap treasure upon treasure” in every way possible, moral or immoral. He advises the boy above all to disregard conscience where profit is involved. He disinherits his older son Roberto, who has dared to condemn his father and others of his profession for their unscrupulous dealings. Gorinius leaves Roberto with only an old groat . . . wherewith I wish him to buy a...
(The entire page is 2076 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE