About this time, suspicions concerning Gatsby grow to such an extent that an “ambitious young reporter” attempts to get a statement from Gatsby or some story about this mysterious man’s notoriety. Stories circulating have to do with an “underground pipe-line to Canada.” As a result of such rumors, Nick chooses, at this point in the flashback, to detail Gatsby’s younger years, stories not recounted in chronological order.
Not people of means, as Gatsby had earlier told Nick, Gatsby’s parents were “shiftless and unsuccessful farm...
(The entire page is 1481 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE