Tom Joad: the protagonist, an Oklahoma tenant farmer’s son
Jim Casy: a former preacher who now questions traditional beliefs as he observes human behavior
Muley Graves: a farmer reduced to homeless poverty when he loses his family’s land through foreclosure
When the last of light rains ended in early May, the land began to dry up. Weeds changed their color to protect themselves from the harsh sun and the corn faded and dried up. The few drops of rain that...
(The entire page is 2018 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE