- ‘‘The Nose’’ (1836) is one of Gogol's best known short stories. It concerns a man whose nose has left his face and taken up an independent life of its own, and the man's efforts to restore the runaway nose to its proper place on his face.
- ‘‘The Overcoat’’ is Gogol's most celebrated short story. It concerns a poor scribe whose heart is broken when his prize possession, a fashionable overcoat, is stolen.
- Dead Souls (1842), by Nikolai Gogol, is a comic novel set in feudal Russia. It concerns a...
(The entire page is 329 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE