When Lyra, Roger, and Iorek Byrnison meet with Lord Asriel, they are surprised by his response. When he sees Lyra, he cries out that he did not send for her. However, when he sees Roger, he calms. Lyra, has thought that she was supposed to bring Lord Asriel the alethiometer but discovers that he does not need it. She declares her disappointment in Lord Asriel’s parenting, but he only states that he will not be lectured by an insolent child. After hearing the story of her travels, he explains to Lyra what he and Mrs. Coulter have been working toward.
Dust, which does not settle...
(The entire page is 519 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE