At a glance:
- Author: Larry Niven
- First Published: 1968
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Science fiction—dystopia
- Time of Work: Several hundred years in the future
- Setting: The Plateau on Mount Lookitthat, on a planet in the Tau Ceti system
- Genres: Long fiction, Science fiction, Dystopian fiction, Novel
- Subjects: Extrasensory perception or powers, Future, Other worlds, Bioengineering or biotechnology, Torture, Totalitarianism, Organ donation
- Locales: Fictional planets
A Gift from Earth is a segment of Larry Niven’s Known Space series, a group of loosely connected novels and short stories, most from the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s. The series portrays the first centuries of human interstellar exploration and settlement, along with attendant encounters with various alien races.
After landing on a maze of plateaus, on a mountain rising above the poisonous gases of an otherwise uninhabitable planet, the small crew of an Earth colony ship establishes a dictatorship over the colonists, who had been in suspended animation....
(The entire page is 990 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE