John Livingston Lowes (lecture date 1930)
SOURCE: "The Art of Geoffrey Chaucer," in Proceedings of the British Academy, Oxford University Press, 1930, pp. 297-326.
[Lowes is noted for his essays and lectures on poetry and is the author of Geoffrey Chaucer and the Development of His Genius. In the following excerpt from one of his published lectures, Lowes provides cultural, biographical, and literary sources for Chaucer's works.]
My subject, as I have announced it, is a theme for a volume, but titles can seldom be brief and specific at...
(The entire page is 7700 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE