At a glance:
- Author: Reynolds Price
- First Published: 1966
- Type of Work: Novel
- Genres: Long fiction, Realism, Bildungsroman, Mythological literature, Novel
- Subjects: Maturation or coming of age, Family or family life, Dogs, Snakes, Sex or sexuality, South or Southerners, Twentieth century, Adventure
- Locales: United States, North Carolina, North America
The story of the Mustians that Price initiated in A Long and Happy Life is also the focus in A Generous Man, his second novel. The cast of characters is not identical, but enough of them overlap that readers of the first novel will have a sense of identity with the main characters in the second.
The action of A Generous Man takes place nine years before the action of A Long and Happy Life. Wesley Beavers is not a part of the narrative because Rosacoke, now only eleven years old, has not yet met him. Milo, married and a father...
(The entire page is 872 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE