At a glance:
- Author: Albert Innaurato
- First Published: 1977
- Type of Plot: Comedy
- Time of Work: The 1970’s
- Setting: South Philadelphia’s Italian section
- Characters: Fran Geminiani, Francis Geminiani, Lucille Pompi, Bunny Weinberger, Herschel Weinberger, Judith Hastings, Randy Hastings
- Genres: Bildungsroman, Drama, Comedy
- Subjects: Maturation or coming of age, 1970's, Family or family life, United States or Americans, Twentieth century, Yards or backyards, Ethnic groups, Inner cities or inner-city life, Lower classes, Philadelphia, Health, Italy or Italians, Houses, mansions, or manors, Obesity, Birthdays
- Locales: United States, North America, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
This two-act comedy is set in the adjoining backyards of two dysfunctional South Philadelphia families. Young Francis Geminiani is at home during his last summer before beginning his senior year at Harvard. An overweight outsider who has never had a deep relationship with anyone, he is alienated from his lower-class father and their environment and appears to find solace only in his collection of opera recordings, which he plays for escape.
Classmates from Harvard, Judith and Randy Hastings, arrive over the backyard fence to pay Francis a surprise visit. The...
(The entire page is 1866 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE