- Fyodor Dostoevski (Censorship (Ready Reference series))
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Critical Survey of Mystery & Detective Fiction, Revised Edition)
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Dictionary of World Biography: The 19th Century)
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Ethics (Ready Reference series))
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Identities & Issues in Literature)
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Fyodor Dostoevski (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
- First Published: 1866
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Psychological realism
- Time of Work: Mid-nineteenth century
- Setting: German watering places
- Genres: Long fiction, Psychological fiction, Novel
- Subjects: Love or romance, Gambling, Nineteenth century, Greed, Money, Germany or German people
- Locales: Europe, Germany
Alexey Ivanovitch (ah-lehk-say ih-VAH-no-vihch), a young, impoverished nobleman, the tutor in a decadent, aristocratic Russian household where he falls in love with the stepdaughter of the family. Boorish and insolent in response to the patronizing impoliteness of his sponsor, he causes his own dismissal but remains in the German gambling resort town to be near his beloved Polina, who makes use of his devotion to send him on errands and to win for her at the roulette tables. Although perceptive and...
(The entire page is 1023 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE