Article abstract: Galileo publishes Dialogue on the Two Chief Systems of the World, leading to widespread acceptance of the heliocentric system of Copernicus while precipitating condemnation of Copernican theory by the Roman Catholic Church.
Summary of Event
Although the publication of Galileo’s Dialogue on the Two Chief Systems of the World (1632) was condemned by the Roman Catholic Church and placed on the Index of Forbidden Books, it fueled the scientific revolution and led to increasing acceptance of the heliocentric...
(The entire page is 1571 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE