The "underground oratorios" Absolutely Free and The M.O.I. American Pageant by the Mothers of Invention are among the major achievements of experimental pop groups. The Mothers draw on a large number of sources for their music. They are competent rock musicians, as the building Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin demonstrates. However, it is their humor, their satirical gift, that makes the Mothers' two oratorios notable. America Drinks and Goes Home, a selection from The M.O.I. American Pageant, for example, is a...
(The entire page is 202 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE