Cogs in the Great Machine
Greeley, Colorado, is the home of the largest meatpacking plant, and the stamp of that industry is everywhere—the constant smell of rendered cattle, the substandard wages for the plant workers (generally resulting in an influx of migrant workers, both legal and illegal), and an increase in crime, poverty, and homelessness. In addition to the packing plant, Con Agra operates two Montfort feedlots nearby, each holding as many as a hundred thousand cattle at a time. Three months before they are slaughtered, the animals are brought here to...
(The entire page is 998 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE