At a glance:
- Author: Milan Kundera
- First Published: 1976
- Type of Work: Farce
- Time of Work: c.the 1960’s
- Setting: Communist Czechoslovakia: Prague and a health spa in a small town
- Characters: Klima, Kamila, Ruzena, Franta, Dr. Skreta, Jakub, Olga, Bartleff
- Genres: Long fiction, Farce, Novel
- Subjects: 1960's, Communism or communists, Pregnancy, Abortion, Jazz music, Poisons or poisoning, Czechoslovakia or Czechoslovakians, Resorts or spas
- Locales: Europe, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic
The Farewell Party is divided into five sections corresponding to the five consecutive days during which the action takes place. “First Day” begins with a phone call from Ruzena, a nurse at a health spa, to Klima, a popular jazz trumpeter in Prague, telling him that she is pregnant and that he is the father. (They spent an intimate two hours together some months before, when his band gave a concert at the spa.) The members of Klima’s all-male band offer various sympathetic theories on how to deal with the situation. For example, the young...
(The entire page is 2161 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE