This essay will examine the issue of cultural violence in relation to the homophobic discourse in Chinese culture, as exemplified by Chen Kaige’s Farewell My Concubine (1993), a film that has widely been shown and reviewed in the United States. Cultural violence, in Foucauldian terminology, can be described as a “strategic field” of forces, where various discourses of power operate concurrently to generate a social body of repression in the name of normality and order. Deviance such as homosexuality has long been regarded in Chinese culture as a sign of “transgression”...
(The entire page is 3156 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE