- Aldous Huxley (Censorship (Ready Reference series))
- Aldous Huxley (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Aldous Huxley (Dictionary of World Biography: The 20th Century)
- Aldous Huxley (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Aldous Huxley (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Aldous Huxley
- First Published: 1936
- Type of Work: Social realism
- Time of Work: 1902-1935
- Setting: London, southern France, and Mexico
- Characters: Anthony Beavis, Helen Ledwidge (nee Amberley), Mark Staithes, Brian Foxe, Mary Amberley, Ekki Giesebrecht
- Genres: Long fiction, Social realism, Novel
- Subjects: Freedom, Self-discovery, Philosophy or philosophers, France or French people, Sex or sexuality, Autobiography, Friendship, Class consciousness, 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, London, Mexico or Mexicans, Sociology, Pacifism
- Locales: France, Europe, Mexico, London, England, Central America and West Indies, United Kingdom
Eyeless in Gaza revolves around the lives of a small group of the English upper middle classes, during a period of more than thirty years. The narrative falls into five distinct time periods: 1902 to 1904, 1914, 1926 to 1928, August, 1933, to February, 1934, and April, 1934, to 1935. A few chapters take place in 1912 and 1931. The narrative does not proceed chronologically, however, but continually jumps backward and forward. Chapter 1 takes place in August, 1933, but the next chapter jumps to 1934. Chapter 3 returns to 1933, and the two subsequent chapters take place...
(The entire page is 2136 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE