This chapter continues the story of Oskar's grandfather, Thomas, picking up forty years after chapter 6 ended. His last letter was written on the day that his child died, September 11, 2001, and this letter is written on the two-year anniversary of that day. He is inspired to write the letter hours before he will meet Oskar, his grandson, to visit Oskar's father's grave.
Readers learn that he hand delivered the note to Oskar's grandmother's doorman on the day of Thomas's funeral. Oskar's grandfather tries to see his former wife but since he cannot...
(The entire page is 633 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE