- Explicating Poetry: World Poets (Critical Survey of Poetry: World Poets)
- English and American Poetry in the Nineteenth Century (Critical Survey of Poetry: Topical Essays)
- Sonnet 35 (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sonnet 6 (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sonnet 1 (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sonnet 7 (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sonnet 14 (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sonnet 43 (Masterplots II: Poetry, Revised Edition)
- Sonnets from the Portuguese (Magill Book Reviews)
- Aurora Leigh (Masterplots, Fourth Edition)
- Sonnets from the Portuguese (Masterplots, Fourth Edition)
- Sonnets from the Portuguese (Masterplots II: Women's Literature Series)
- Aurora Leigh (Cyclopedia of Literary Places)
- Sonnets from the Portuguese (Cyclopedia of Literary Places)
At a glance:
- Author: Elizabeth Barrett Moulton
Elizabeth Barrett was born on March 6, 1806, the eldest child of Mary Graham Clark and Edward Barrett Moulton-Barrett. She spent her childhood at Hope End, an estate owned by her parents, located in Herefordshire, England. She was a bright, intelligent child who grew up with the advantages of living in an upper-middle-class family, advantages made possible by her father’s plantations in Jamaica. According to an essay she wrote when she was fourteen, she claims to have wanted to be a poet from the age of four. Poetry remained her lifelong ambition.
(The entire page is 4403 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the summary of the cry of the children.
- In what part of How do I love thee? by Elizabeth Browning can you tell what the tone is and what impact does the tone have on the...
- What's the main theme in "How Do I Love Thee" By Elizabeth Barett Browning?
- Can you explain the last stanza of the Elizabeth Barrett poem "The Cry of the Children"?
- Can you please explain each stanza of the Cry of the Children by Elizabeth Browning in detail??