Eleven-year-old Elijah Freeman is the first freeborn child in Buxton, Canada, a settlement established for former slaves just over the Michigan border in 1849. Elijah can "chunk rocks" with such accuracy that he catches fish by taking aim and hitting them on the head with stones. As Elijah is returning home with ten fish he has caught, he runs into the Preacher, who convinces him that he should tithe a tenth of his riches to him, as the servant of the Lord. Elijah is confused about the Preacher; he knows he is manipulative, but cannot quite accept that...
(The entire page is 3227 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE