The law with respect to school prayer is clear: when organized, supported, or required by the state, school prayer is illegal. Our purpose in this viewpoint is to explain . . . why this is the case.
Briefly, state-supported prayer amounts to the establishment of a religious practice. This is true whether the state actually prescribes the prayer to be said, or allows teachers and students to compose the prayer as they see fit. Let’s use the famous 1963 Engel v.Vitale case to illustrate our argument.
Engel v. Vitale revolved around a New York law that...
(The entire page is 1716 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE