The linchpin of our efforts to strengthen public education has been to raise standards and expectations for all students. As a result of state and local efforts, and with the support of Goals 2000 and other Federal education programs, students in every state in the country are beginning to benefit from higher academic standards and a more challenging curriculum.
If our efforts to promote higher standards are to lead to increased student achievement, the standards must count. Students must be required to meet them, and schools must provide each student with adequate preparation....
(The entire page is 1079 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE