Confronting the illicit trade in drugs and its effects remains a major challenge for the international community. As the organization responsible for leading United Nations’ action against the global drug problem, the United Nations Drug Control Programme (UNDCP) tries to identify, understand and contain the forces which lead individuals to resort to illicit drug production, trafficking and abuse.
The illicit cultivation of opium poppy and coca is directly linked to rural poverty. The reduction of rural poverty—particularly through sustainable natural resource management—is...
(The entire page is 1621 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE