The evening after Christmas Day, Mrs. Linde sits alone waiting for Krogstad while music can be heard from the party upstairs. After he appears, the two have a heart-to-heart talk to clear up misconceptions about their split. Years ago, Kristine wrote Krogstad a letter, ending their affair. She intentionally made the break very clear in order to destroy his affectionate feelings towards her. According to her, this was for his own good, so he could get on with his life. However, Krogstad was deeply hurt and felt that she had simply accepted an offer from a...
(The entire page is 2503 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE