Michael L. Radelet is the chair of the department of sociology at the University of Florida. Ronald L. Akers is a professor of sociology at the University of Florida and the director of the school’s Center for Studies in Criminology and Law.
Summary: Capital punishment has strong political and public support primarily because it is seen as a general deterrent. To find out what “experts” think of the deterrent value of the death penalty, a small and elite group of criminologists were polled on their views. Most experts, based on their knowledge of...
(The entire page is 4908 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE