Richard C. Dieter is a lawyer and executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, an anti–capital punishment advocacy group.
Summary: In a nationwide poll, a group of randomly selected police chiefs were asked what they believe really works in fighting crime and whether the death penalty is an effective crime-fighting tool. While many of the chiefs support the death penalty philosophically, a strong majority do not believe that it is an effective law enforcement tool in practice. Police chiefs view other methods of controlling crime as...
(The entire page is 6260 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE