Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Writing a Theatre Review
Excerpt From this Document
A review should be of a live theatrical performance. It should be a formalpaper. Look at the newspaper for examples of format and style. Titles of plays are either underlined or italicized.
- 2-3 pages long. Double Spaced. 1 inch margins.
- All reviews should include basic information: When? Where? Who was involved (actors, directors, designers, etc.)? Attach a program if you wish.
- Whenever possible, incorporate into your review what you’ve learned in class!
- A review should include SPECIFIC information (objective information and facts, the writer’s opinion, personal reaction, etc.) on the following:
- Play synopsis, including the theme of the play. A theme is different from synopsis. The synopsis gives the story line. The theme is the main idea of the play.
- Performance (acting ability) of all actors in principal roles. Be careful to distinguish between the critique of an actor and the critique of a character. Refer to actors by their name. Discuss their acting ability and choices. Try to be objective – you might not like a character, but the actor might be excellent in portraying that unlikable character.
- Direction of play -- vision of the play, guidance of actors, blocking, etc. This is often a difficult thing to see. The director’s work is evident through the shape of the production – was it crafted to make the playwright’s point clearly? What about the pace? How were the actors impacted by the director’s work?
- Production Values -- set, props, lighting, sound, costumes, special effects, etc. Again, be specific.
An A Paper has:
- Introduction with basic info
- Every aspect of the production covered, in detail
- Clear conclusion
- Minimal mechanical problems
A B Paper has:
- Some clarity problems
- Some lack of detail
- Several mechanical problems
A C Paper has:
- Many clarity problems
- Major details missing
- Many mechanical problems
A D Paper has:
- Copious problems with clarity, detail and mechanics
About this Document
Assignment sheet for writing a review of a play.