Total: $0.00Close Cart
eBook & Document Store
Weekly Vocabulary Words and Test
Excerpt From this Document
Vocabulary Test: French Words Used in English
- Esprit De Corps
- Faux Pas
- Je ne sais quoi
- Joie de vivre
Fill In The Blanks:
- After their plane went down in the Himalayan Mountains, the seven survivors had a deep sense of ___________________________ as they worked together to survive.
- Mr. Lincoln was not allowed to sunbathe at the children’s pool anymore because his Speedo bathing suit was considered far too ________________ for young people to see.
- Because dancing was not her _________________________, she sat at a table the whole night while her friends “cut a rug” out on the dance floor.
- She took out three loans just to afford a house and a car; she would have done anything just to feel like she was not poor, and instead was a member of the ______________________ class.
- His ______________________________ made him this fascinating character and everyone wanted to be around him, even if they could not say exactly why.
- Instead of just sticking to the topic, the student committed a serious _____________________________ by telling her audience that she had diarrhea and bad gas and would have to leave the room several times during her speech.
- The boss and her assistant often had _____________________ for hours at a time leaving their co-workers to think they were having an affair.
- Her children were her ____________________________; they were the source of her happiness and she did everything she could for them.
- After bragging for weeks about how his scores would be higher than hers, he had to say _____________________ when he saw that her score was better than his by 25%.
- After the “bathroom” incident, no one from work ever invited her to a party again due to her embarrassing and ____________________________ behavior.
Are the words used correctly? Yes or No
- She was a risqué and always wore clothes far too tight.
- Her joie de vivre life made her very happy every day.
- Her forte was playing the piano and she practiced every single day.
- Their tête-à-tête was held in a quiet, dark corner of the restaurant.
- Her faux pas behavior led to a great deal of embarrassment.
True or False:
- A person that wears a risqué outfit to a fancy dinner is committing a faux pas and may be accused of having gauche behavior.
- If there is esprit de corps amongst a group of people, they are more likely to spend extra time together.
- You might say touché to someone if they are committing a faux pas.
- “Je ne sais quoi” means “of the day” in French.
- “Joie de vivre” means “joy of life” in French
About this Document
Focus on French words commonly used in the English language.